Tuesday, March 5, 2019

GoSmokies Fall 2012

Originally Posted on GoSmokies November 16, 2012

I have already posted a little history and some photos from our second day of the GoSmokies hikes. I think the consensus is that a good time was had by all. We visited so many home sites and saw a lot of cool stuff that a book could be written and maybe even a blockbuster movie made!


As was expected we got a big history lesson from Mike Maples and if you were wise enough to listen you got some interesting tidbits from the senior Dave Ledbetter. I sincerely hope we take advantage of his knowledge and invite him to take us on a hike in Whiteoak Sinks or Cades Cove in the future. We could bill it as GoSmokies III: A Hike with the Dave’s! I have learned a lot from both father and son and I thank them for sharing their knowledge with me.


Now for my map people out there we begin with a section of the famous Maples Greenbrier hand drawn limited edition map. Mine is about a year and a half old and already outdated lol! We discussed some revisions on Wednesday which you will soon see on my GPS map.


Even Mike would agree with me that everything about the Smokies is subject to revision. If you think trying to figure out who lived where in the Smokies is easy – think again. I am constantly revising due to new information. To make it even harder you will find that folks moved around a lot. Folks even swapped places back then.
Now if you would like your own full blown, hand drawn, revised and ever changing edition of the map then simply ask Mr. Maples very nicely and he might just draw you one. Only $300…. Just kidding (it depends on just how nicely you ask lol!)
Now we hiked so durn far that the home sites are kind of cramped on my map of the entire hike so on the right you will see a larger version of the upper part of the hike.


Since my map is computer generated it is only worth about 30 cents. But go ahead and right click it and just steal it! Now after I die it will be worth a lot more and if you visit my grave I will be happy to autograph it for you at no extra cost!
And lastly I give you the ever popular 1931 map which in the corner you see my attempt at layering it onto a topo map. I tried this based on a blog written a little while back and it is a great idea; however, it took me so long to do it that I lost interest in ever attempting it again. For those of you who have the patience and skill I say go for it.


And lastly, if you have not got your fill of pictures (as if 27 8x10 color glossy photographs isn’t enough) you can click on the link below and I have a You Tube video that should satisfy your appetite.







No comments:

Post a Comment